Cheshire Democratic Town Committee
The Cheshire Democratic Town Committee has announced the party’s platform for the 2019 municipal elections.
The platform below addresses five critical areas of town governance: Strategic Planning, Economic Development, Commitment to Excellence for our School System, Full-Functioning Boards and Commissions, and Quality of Life issues.
Judith Slisz, the Policy Chair of the Town Committee said, “We are very proud of this Platform, which translates our principles and values into specific positions on key issues.” Town Chair Judy Villa commented, “In this year’s election, the Democratic Party has not only an extremely well-qualified slate, but a clear vision for Cheshire’s future. This platform offers the voters a clear alternative to the current, complacent mode of government. We are certain that voters will respond to it.”
- Work with business people, elected officials, educators, and citizens to develop an aggressive 5-year strategic plan which will ensure controlled but sustained growth in our town.
- Review and update existing plans to support small- and medium-sized business development in town and develop the North End; thereby, growing our grand list, while keeping Cheshire’s small town feel in the town center. Protect local property taxpayers, especially middle-income residents and seniors on a fixed income.
- Work cooperatively with the Town Council and Board of Education to develop and implement, in a timely fashion, a cost-effective long-range action plan for upgrading our aging school facilities.
- Promote effective communication and collaboration between our school district and the community.
- Ensure that all Boards and Commissions are effective and functioning so we can complete projects that will address the common good.
- Engage the entire community in taking responsibility for helping our young people grow into mature and caring adults who respect others and act with civility.
- Support a mix of housing options so that people find Cheshire to be a desirable place in which to live.
- Ensure that Town officials work diligently to balance and manage land acquisition and the preservation of open space and park land to benefit Cheshire residents.