Cheshire Democratic Town Committee Platform
- Work with town leadership, business people, elected and appointed officials, educators, and residents to develop short- and long-term plans with the goal of ensuring sustainable growth in our town.
- Support small- and medium-sized business success and development, especially in our north end commercial/industrial zone and in our West Main Street commercial district thereby growing our grand list, while keeping Cheshire’s small-town character.
- Protect local property taxpayers, including middle-income residents, families, seniors on a fixed income, and our commercial property owners.
- Work cooperatively with the Town Council, the Board of Education, and the School Modernization Committee to support and promote the plan for upgrading our outdated and increasingly costly school facilities over the next ten-twenty years.
- Promote effective communication and collaboration between our school system, Board of Education, and the community.
- Support curriculum that provides our students with opportunities to learn and respect the multicultural perspectives of others.
- Encourage involvement of a diverse representation of Cheshire residents to serve on town Boards and Commissions so that a variety of perspectives is brought to bear in discussion and problem solving.
- Ensure that all Boards and Commissions have clear, actionable agendas and function effectively to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Ensure transparency and integrity on all Boards and Commissions.
- Engage the Cheshire community in taking personal responsibility for treating each other with respect and civility including support for the lawful authority of our public servants and first responders.
- Support necessary changes to create a greater mix of housing options so that people who wish to live in Cheshire can remain in or join our community for the opportunities offered here.
- Ensure that Cheshire continues to consider and value land acquisition for open space preservation and to maintain and improve our current open space properties to attract appropriate use.
- Support efforts that enhance neighborhood and roadway safety and encourage the use of our town and state roadways for active transportation and recreation, e.g., biking, walking, and running.