By former Cheshire Town Councilor Diane Visconti
Dear Mr. Trump,
I know you love to win (or refuse to lose) and that that cannot be an easy way to live...as we all win a few and lose a few.
But please rethink your statement about accepting "oppo" research from a foreign government.
The problem getting information from another government is that:
1. it may not be right- what could stop some government from making something up?
2. it may have been gotten by eavesdropping and if that is ok...what is to stop such a government from doing that to you? Such a government may want to play both sides.
3. A foreign adversary, by definition, does not have our best interests in mind.
4. You could get blackmailed.
5. It is against the law. You could get investigated (again!).
I hope your statement hasn't encouraged governments to give you "oppo" research..or worse, that they already are doing so.
Losing may not be fun but if you have to win by cheating...how can that feel good?
Our Op-Ed Policy:
The Cheshire Democratic Town Committee has created this op-ed page as an effort to give all Cheshire Democrats and Cheshire Democratic-leaning Unaffiliated voters a platform to express their political opinions.